In recent years, IP “buzzwords” have included superconductors, gene patents, business methods and computer software. Society’s ever-increasing environmental awareness now dictates that “cleantech” is the latest vogue. In today’s eco-conscious world, the demand for clean technologies is driving rapid innovation. For instance, the global renewable energy market was valued at around US$1.5 trillion in 2017 and is projected to expand upwards of 30% over the next decade.
At Shelston IP, we work closely with our clients to develop relevant IP solutions as new clean technologies emerge. Through a deep understanding of our clients’ needs and applying our professional experience, we are well placed to advise on how to make best use of the various facilities available under the Australian and international patent systems.
We represent clients across the full spectrum of the cleantech sector – from large multinationals through universities and start-ups. Amongst other clean technologies, our clients are especially active in wind energy, solar power, water turbines, fuel cell development and green building.
Shelston IP’s clean technology expertise
Our expertise extends well beyond the creation of patents and other IP rights. We lead the field in formulating and implementing comprehensive, yet cost-effective patent strategies, seamlessly integrating protection, management, commercialisation and enforcement of IP rights for clean technologies, both in Australia and internationally.
Our team boasts high-level qualifications and industry experience, directly relevant to this critically important sector, including the following representative technologies:
- Solar energy
- Wind energy
- Biofuels and geothermal energy
- Wave and ocean energy
- Energy efficiency technologies
- Grid management technologies
- Carbon efficiency and sequestration technologies
- Waste and water management
- Mining and minerals processing
- Natural gas extraction including shale and coal seam gas
- Clean coal power
How Shelston IP can assist with cleantech IP
We aim to understand each client’s technologies and IP positioning in order to offer focused solutions.
We can help clients:
- Conduct due diligence investigations to assess IP assets
- Prepare and prosecute patent applications
- Provide counsel on patent law,trademark law, copyright law, trade secret law and other areas of IP
- Negotiate and develop licensing agreements
- Develop IP portfolio management and protection strategies
- Enforce and defend IP assets through litigationor other dispute resolution
We are experienced in negotiating the requirements and challenges facing clients with smaller, developing IP portfolios versus those with larger, more mature portfolios. With constant surveillance of the technological and economic landscape, our team seeks strategic opportunities to create IP assets and exploit the potential of each technology in concert with our clients’ business plans.