Asia. With 48 countries spanning the eastern and northern hemispheres, it is the world’s largest continent and home to 4.4 billion people or 60 percent of the population. Moreover, with intellectual property monetisation and management a core influencer of business and economic performance, Asia has established itself as a global innovation powerhouse.
- Three of the world’s ten most competitive countries, as ranked by the World Economic Forum, sit within Asia: Singapore (2), Japan (6) and Hong Kong (7).
- Three of the world’s ten most innovative countries rest within the region: Japan (4), Singapore (9) and Taiwan (10).
Ensuring your IP position in Asia is as strong as possible – and enforceable should the need arise – is paramount to success in Asia. Asian markets provide some of the most exciting opportunities for growth – within some of the most challenging and dynamic intellectual property frameworks.
- Many Asian countries have relatively young IP systems
- Many of their governments are still reconciling the demands of foreign trading partners, including as they relate to their rules on patents, trademarks, copyright, trade secrets and other intellectual property rights violations
- Though a large number of IP professionals practise in the region, there is significant variance and inconsistency in the degree of skill and competence on offer.
Fortunately, booming industries, such as manufacturing, electronics and healthcare, are placing pressure on Asian governments to strengthen the available IP protection. Progress has been made through a combination of legislation, law enforcement, capacity building, education and international cooperation.
Many Jurisdictions, One Solution
The countries in which IP protection is sought today will have a significant influence on a company’s well-being in the future.
From our headquarters in Sydney, Australia Shelston IP attorneys and lawyers service the intellectual property needs of global clients throughout our region. For IP owners and their attorneys, Shelston IP’s ‘Eastern Bound’ solution delivers real value for money by:
- Providing a single point of contact for all of your intellectual property requirements in Asia
- Enabling you to interface with Australian English speakers
- Providing peace of mind that comes from knowing one firm has line-of-sight of all your IP activities across Asia
- Effectively managing agents across a geographically-dispersed region and within fractured time zones
- Reducing the administrative burden of developing, maintaining and enforcing an IP portfolio across Asia
- Carefully and systematically assessing Asian firms (and continually re-evaluating them) based on their legal and technical expertise, client service, and language fluency
- Relieving you of the burden of identifying and managing translators who have language proficiency and appropriate technical expertise
- Mitigating the risks associated with cross-jurisdictional IP registration and protection
- Efficiently achieving greater consistency across your regional IP portfolio
- Leveraging Shelston IP’s buying power with IP associate throughout the region.
We invite you to join those who already enjoy the benefits of our Eastern Bound solution.