By 2050 farmers will need to produce 70% more food to feed the world. To feed this growing world, innovation will be crucial in solving the global challenges of food production and sustainability.
Today, Australia produce enough food to feed 80 million people, providing 93 per cent of the domestic food supply. The outlook for the Australian industry is strong with a wealth of raw ingredients paired with its world-class science that can help feed a world market hungry for premium food at a price that recognises its value.
Innovation in agricultural implements, pest control, food science and digital agriculture helps produce methods, food and seeds that can meet these challenges, delivering significant benefits for consumers, farmers and the environment.
At Shelston IP we help agriculture and food businesses, farmers, plant breeders and research organisations to meet these challenges and unlock value-adding growth opportunities by embracing innovation, collaboration and new technologies.
Our clients include some of the world’s largest providers of agricultural and food products, specialist agri insurers, agricultural biotech companies, grain handlers, plant breeders, seed producers, chemical suppliers, and government-owned research organisations.
Shelston IP Agribusiness expertise
Our team of experienced attorneys possesses specialist post graduate qualifications and research experience in agricultural biotechnology, plant molecular biology, plant genomics and chemistry.
We have specific expertise in prosecution and enforcement of IP in a wide range of fields, including the following:
- Functional foods, nutraceuticals, probiotics and prebiotics.
- Dairy processing biotechnology.
- Dietary supplements, including dairy-derived nutritional supplements, microbially produced oils, and plant and herbal extracts.
- New food products and compositions, including beverages and new methods for production.
- Sugar and carbohydrate chemistry, including sugar substitutes and high intensity sweeteners.
- Food chemistry, including molecular composition and chemical reactions of food, nutrient fortification and bioavailability.
- Crop plant and agricultural biotechnology, including plant breeding and transgenic yield and trait enhancement.
- Agrichemistry, including pesticides, herbicides and plant growth stimulants.
- Formulation chemistry for effective chemical delivery to plants, soil and animals.
- Animal foods, feeds and nutrition.
- Industrial food manufacturing equipment, process and instrumentation.
How Shelston IP can assist with agribusiness IP
Our services include:
- patenting – filing, prosecuting, assignment, licensing, searching, watching
- patent infringement and validity advice
- patent portfolio management and renewals
- plant breeder’s rights – filing, prosecuting, assignment, licensing, searching, watching
- plant breeder’s rights – infringement and validity advice
- plant breeder’s rights – portfolio management and renewals
- due diligence advice
- commercialisation advice
- litigation and litigation support.