Your product’s design is much more than just than the way it looks – it can have intrinsic value that needs protecting, especially when your design is the primary point of market differentiation.
A strategic approach to registered designs can provide a competitive edge on several fronts:
- in the minds of consumers a product’s ‘look’ can be even more important than functionality
- is an immediate and powerful deterant for copycats and imitators
- supplement existing patents (or those being contemplated) as part of your IP strategy
- if infringed, you can seek damages for lost sales
- helps to sell or licence your product to earn further royalties and revenues
- increases consistentancy of use which enhances value over time.
In the 2017/18 financial year, Shelston IP is Australia’s second highest filer of registered designs.
Our team of design’s experts secure and protect designs for some of the world’s largest companies ranging from engineering, appliances, homewares and fashion designers operating in all major industries, technologies and product categories.
Shelston IP design expertise spans:
- evaluating your design and determining an appropriate scope for protection
- directly filing and prosecuting design applications in Australia and New Zealand
- coordinating design applications in South East Asia and other overseas jurisdictions
- commercialisation advice
- assignments and licensing
- infringement and validity advice
- portfolio management
- searching and watching
- design registration renewals
- design litigation and dispute resolution.
Our experts can guide you through design legislation, pursue your rights when someone uses your design without your permission, advise on potential changes to your product’s design (if necessary) and renew your registrations.