Effectively managing and protecting your brand equity is vital to long term success in today’s hyper-competitive and interconnected markets.
Trade marks are the most effective way to ensure that your brand not only stands out from the crowd; but is protected and managed as an important business asset.
A strong brand is more than just the trade name or ® symbol applied to your product or service, consider these advantages of a registered trade mark:
- confers legal rights entitling the owner to exclusive use of the trade mark for the registered goods and/or services
- grants a defence and reassurance that use of the registered for the registered goods and/or services does not infringe any other registration
- enables you to take action against, and provides remedies if, any third party engages in conduct that is likely to be damaging to your business by using a deceptively similar trade mark for goods and/or services covered by the registration, or similar goods and/or services
- deters new entrants from entering or encroaching on your markets and customers
- can be used for licensing and franchise arrangements to maximise revenues
- can be used to obtain loans and funding
- increases the value of your trade mark and is a highly valued asset that can be sold.
Shelston IP is entrusted with the ongoing management of over 17,000 trade marks for a vast array of local and multinational businesses trading right across the commercial spectrum: from wire products to pharmaceuticals, from online clothing retailers to financial services, and beyond.
Trade Marks Expertise
Shelston IP trade marks expertise includes:
- trade mark, domain name and business name availability and freedom-to-operate searches
- preparation, lodgement and prosecution of trade mark applications in Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea
- worldwide trade mark protection utilising a global network of highly skilled professionals
- pursuing and defending trade mark opposition proceedings in Australia and New Zealand
- pursuing and defending trade mark non-use proceedings in Australia and New Zealand
- providing infringement and validity advice
- pursuing and defending trade mark and domain name disputes and litigation, including the preparation of cease and desist letters
- negotiation and drafting of co-existence arrangements
- maintaining and reporting on policing watches
- implementing and actioning customs seizures
- advice and preparation of assignments and licensing agreements
- commercialisation advice and assistance
- management of trade mark and domain portfolios
- trade mark, business name and domain name renewals and record keeping
Trade Marks Expertise Awards & Recognition
Year after year, senior Shelston IP trade mark practitioners are recognised by leading industry analysts.
‘A formidable patent and trademark attorney firm, Shelston IP is home to 12 trademark experts offering a “solid” trademark service that runs the gamut. As “one of the largest inbound practices in Australia”, the firm is famed for its representation of Disney and Johnson & Johnson. “Highly experienced” trademark team leader Sean McManis dispenses “thorough and pragmatic advice”, while Gerard Skelly regularly features in IP Australia proceedings.’
Shelston IP Trade Marks Experts
Shelston IP trade mark attorneys appreciate the importance of maintaining and building brand equity, the critical role played by brands in the marketplace, and the value that effective brand management can add to any business.
All of our trade mark experts are fully conversant with the law and practice of the Madrid Protocol, to which Australia is signatory. The team will ensure your trade marks add tangible value to your business both locally and internationally.