Shelston IP has a dedicated team of professionals offering specialised intellectual property knowledge and services in the technical fields of optics and photonics. For this reason, Shelston IP acts for the vast majority of Australian businesses who operate in these fields.
Examples of optics and photonics-based Australian businesses that choose Shelston IP to assist with the building and management of their intellectual property portfolio include:
- Finisar Australia, the Australian subsidiary of the world’s largest supplier of optical communication components and subsystems. Shelston IP is the guardian of the research output of over 300 researchers at their Australian research facilities.
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), Australia’s national science agency.
The University of Sydney, which supports the Institute of Photonics and Optical Science covering research areas such as ultrahigh bandwidth optical devices and astrophotonics technology such as the integrated photonic spectrograph.
- Macquarie University, which supports the MQ Photonics Research Centre covering research areas such as ultrafast laser applications, optical quantum computing devices and microphotonic optical systems.
- BT Imaging, a developer and manufacturer of devices for testing photovoltaic materials.
- Zodiac Aerospace, which provide optical ice detection in aerospace applications.
Our team regularly prosecutes patent applications in a number of jurisdictions including Australia, United States, Europe, Japan and China.
Within our team is Peter Treloar, who has a wealth of experience in optics and photonics. Peter is a registered Australian patent attorney who has a Bachelor of Science (Honours 1) (Computer Science), as well as a Bachelor of Science (Physics). Peter has more than 20 years experience in helping clients patent photonic devices including optical filters, lasers, Bragg grating structures, circulators, optical multiplexers, optical quantum computing devices and optical sensors.
Also within our team are attorneys with qualifications in mathematical physics, electrical engineering, telecommunications engineering, chemical engineering and computer engineering. This combination of skills allows Shelston IP to assist photonics-based clients who also operate in the related fields of telecommunications, electronics and materials fabrication.